13.11.6 Oxidisers and dyes
|1st choice||Potassium permanganate 400mg tablets for cutaneous solution (Permitabs®)||Dose: |
1 tablet dissolved in 4 litres of water provides a 0.01% (1 in 10,000) solution
- Potassium permanganate solution 1 in 10,000, a mild antiseptic with astringent properties, can be used for exudative eczematous areas; treatment should be stopped when the skin area becomes dry. It can stain skin and nails, particularly with prolonged use.
- The potassium permanganate solution should be made when it is required and disposed of after use.
- The solution should not be stored in direct sunlight or warm temperatures. The solution can be stored for up to 12 hours, although the manufacturer (Alliance) does not recommend this.
- If the solution appears cloudy do not use it.
- There is a risk of death or serious harm from accidental ingestion of potassium permanganate preparations. Refer to the Safety, Quality and Standards Circular (HSC (SQSD) 16/22) Inadvertent oral administration of potassium permanganate issued in response to a National Patient Safety Alert. Prescribers must ensure that measures are put in place to avoid oral ingestion of potassium permanganate. See NI Medicines Management Newsletter July 2022 for further advice and references.