13.11.6 Oxidisers and dyes
|1st choice||Potassium permanganate solution tablets 400mg (Permitabs®)|
- Potassium permanganate solution 1 in 10,000, a mild antiseptic with astringent properties, can be used for exudative eczematous areas; treatment should be stopped when the skin area becomes dry. It can stain skin and nails, particularly with prolonged use.
- The potassium permanganate solution should be made when it is required and disposed of after use.
- The solution should not be stored in direct sunlight or warm temperatures. The solution can be stored for up to 12 hours, although the manufacturer (Alliance) does not recommend this.
- If the solution appears cloudy do not use it.
- There is a risk of death or serious harm from accidental ingestion of potassium permanganate preparations. Refer to NHS warning.