6.7.1 Dopamine-receptor agonists
|1st choice||Cabergoline tablets 500 micrograms|
|2nd choices||Bromocriptine tablets 1mg, 2.5mg; capsules 5mg, 10mg||Dose:|
Initial dose usually 1–1.25mg with food at bedtime; see BNF for dose adjustment
|Quinagolide tablets 25 micrograms, 50micrograms, 75micrograms||Dose:|
See BNF for dose adjustment
- Choice of drug therapy should be made by specialist depending on individual patient circumstances.
- A shared care guideline for cabergoline is available here.
- Bromocriptine is the drug of choice for hyperprolactinaemia if pregnancy is sought.
- For suppression of lactation, see BNF.
- For Parkinson’s disease, see section 4.9.1.