How to use your novolizer inhaler
How to use your novolizer inhaler
Inhalers are commonly prescribed for patients with asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) as they are very effective at delivering the medication straight to the lungs where it is needed.
Using your inhalers correctly is an important part of asthma or COPD treatment. You should be shown how to use inhalers properly by a healthcare professional when they are first prescribed.
You may occasionally experience problems using your inhalers, especially if it has been a while since you were shown the correct technique. This is very common and your healthcare professional can help you improve your inhaler technique.
Why is inhaler technique important?
- It allows the correct dose of medication to reach your lungs.
- It gives you better control of your condition.
|Examples of novolizer inhalers||Budelin Novolizer|
|Salbulin MDPI Novolizer|
Before using your novolizer inhaler for the first time, you must load a medication cartridge into the inhaler. Remove the lid of the inhaler by gently squeezing the bumpy ridges on both sides of the lid, and pull forwards and up. Insert the cartridge into the inhaler with the counter facing towards the mouthpiece. Replace the lid of the inhaler by pushing down and backwards until it clicks into place.
Checklist for novolizer use
|1||Stand or sit upright when using your novolizer.|
|2||Remove the protective cap from the mouthpiece by lightly squeezing the arrows on each side of the cap and pulling it off.|
|3||Hold the novolizer horizontally with the mouthpiece towards you and the coloured button facing straight up. Do not tilt the novolizer.|
|4||Press the coloured button all the way down (you will hear a double click) and then release it. Do not keep it held down.|
|5||Check the window above the mouthpiece has changed to green this confirms that the medicine is ready for inhalation.|
|6||Breathe out deeply as far as is comfortable away from mouthpiece and do not breathe in again yet.|
|7||Place the mouthpiece between your teeth without biting and form a good seal around it with your lips.|
|8||Breathe in strongly and deeply. While you breathe in you should hear a “click” this means you are using the novolizer correctly.|
|9||Keep breathing in even after you have heard the novolizer “click” to be sure you get the full dose.|
|10||Remove the novolizer from your mouth and hold your breath for about ten seconds or for as long as is comfortable, then breathe out slowly through your nose.|
|11||If you need to take another dose repeat steps 4 to 10.|
|12||Replace the protective cap on the mouthpiece.|
Common mistakes that people make with novolizers include:
- Not standing or sitting up to use the novolizer or not holding the novolizer upright when using it.
- Not pressing the coloured button all the way down.
- Holding the coloured button down whilst inhaling.
- Not inhaling strongly and deeply enough to draw the medication out of the novolizer and in to the lungs.
- Not replacing the protective cap on the mouthpiece.
- The cartridge can be used until the dose counter reaches 0, but it must be replaced within six months of taking the cartridge out of its sealed outer container. Replace the novolizer inhaler after using it with 10 cartridges
- Always check that nothing is blocking the mouthpiece.
- If after pressing and releasing the coloured button the window above the mouthpiece remains red, then press and release the coloured button again.
- You may notice a taste when you inhale the medicine.
- Check the control window has turned to red after inhaling.
- This confirms that the full dose was inhaled correctly. If the control window is still green, inhale strongly and deeply through the mouthpiece again.
- Clean the novolizer regularly, or at least whenever you change the cartridge. First remove the protective cap. Twist the mouthpiece anticlockwise it will become loose and can be removed. Now turn the novolizer upside down and loosen the dispensing slide. Move it forwards and upwards. Tap it lightly to remove any remaining powder. To clean your novolizer, wipe the mouthpiece inside and outside with a clean, dry, lint-free cloth to remove any powder residue. DO NOT use water or detergent.