22.214.171.124 Management of agitation and aggression
Management of agitation and aggression
- Management depends on the underlying cause and consideration should always be given to physical illness or an acute confusional state
- For patients with behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD) see section 4.11.1.
- Arrange for urgent assessment by Mental Health Services. Consider use of the Mental Health Order if appropriate
- Refer to NICE NG10 Violence and aggression
- Note: Whilst the NICE guidance does cover violence and aggression in primary care settings, the focus is on avoiding violence, prevention, de-escalation and breakaway techniques. In situations of high risk staff should remove themselves from the situation and, if there is immediate risk to life, contact the police