- Anti–reflux formula is suitable for use in mild to moderate reflux and can be purchased for
children from birth.
- Anti-reflux formula contain either carob bean gum or potato starch which thickens the
formula when they mix with the acid in stomach and helps the feed stay down.
- Gaviscon® Infant sachets should not be used with thickening agents, for example Carobel®
powder or infant formula containing a thickening agent, as this could lead to over thickening
of stomach contents and increase the risk of choking.
- Those eligible for Healthy Start scheme vouchers and prepaid card can use these to purchase
infant formula that is cow’s milk based and suitable from birth. Get help to buy food and
- Anti-reflux formula should only be used under medical supervision – always consult a
healthcare professional, e.g. health visitor for advice.
- Anti-reflux formula is a similar price to standard formula and should be purchased.