Specialist initiation only
|Modafinil tablets 100mg|
- Modafinil is an amber list drug and should be initiated by a specialist – see IPNSM red/amber lists.
- Supervision should remain the responsibility of hospital staff for the first three months or until objective evidence of effectiveness has been provided.
- Dependence with long-term use of modafinil cannot be excluded.
- Dexamfetamine sulphate or methylphenidate hydrochloride may be prescribed by specialists when modafinil is ineffective.
- Modafinil potentially increases the risk of congenital malformations when used in pregnancy. Modafinil should not be used during pregnancy and women of childbearing potential must use effective contraception during treatment and for 2 months after stopping modafinil. See MHRA