|Formulary choice||Gliclazide tablets 80mg||Dose: Initially 40-80mg daily before main meal, max 320mg daily; doses above 160mg daily should be divided Mild to moderate renal impairment : use the same dosing regimen as in normal renal function with careful patient monitoring Severe renal impairment: avoid (risk of hypoglycaemia)|
- Prescribe as per NICE Guideline NG28 See also NICE visual summary for blood glucose lowering therapy in adults with type 2 diabetes.
- Gliclazide modified release tablets should be reserved for patients with demonstrable compliance problems
- Patients should be informed that sulfonylureas can cause hypoglycaemia. The risk of hypoglycaemia increases with age
- Driving requirements and advice for monitoring of blood glucose in people with type 2 diabetes differ depending on medication and license group. Information may be accessed on the GOV.UK website
- Counsel patients on ‘sick day guidance’ with sulfonylureas – click here for further information