1.3.1 H2-receptor antagonists
Ranitidine is currently unavailable. This is due to a possible risk with the ingredients.
|1st choice||Ranitidine tablets 150mg, 300mg; effervescent tablets 150mg, 300mg; oral solution 75mg/5ml||Doses:|
· gastric or duodenal ulcer, chronic episodic dyspepsia, NSAID-associated ulcer: 150mg twice daily or 300mg at night
· in duodenal ulcer, 300mg can be given twice daily for 4 weeks to achieve a higher healing rate
· prophylaxis of NSAID-associated ulcer, 300mg twice daily [unlicensed]
· GORD, 150mg twice daily or 300mg at night
- H2-receptor antagonists might mask the symptoms of gastric cancer. Particular care is required in patients presenting with alarm features. In such cases gastric malignancy should be ruled out before treatment.
NICaN Northern Ireland Referral Guidance for Suspected Cancer