6.6 Drugs affecting bone metabolism
- Refer to NICE Pathway – Osteoporosis.
- Consider risk assessment using FRAX or QFracture.
- Consider falls prevention measures. The greatest risk of fracture in the elderly comes from falls, not osteoporosis.
- For the management of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis, refer to the Royal College of Physicians treatment algorithm. Patients receiving 7.5mg or more of prednisolone daily for longer than 3 months should receive osteoporosis prophylaxis.
- Male osteoporosis is often secondary to other medical conditions; specialist referral is recommended.